Driving behavior that harms the land is self-defeating and irresponsible. Learn to protect and preserve your driving areas. In other words, TREAD Lightly!
- Travel responsibly on designated trails or in permitted off-highway areas.
- Respect the rights of others including private property owners and all recreational trail users, campers and others to allow them to enjoy their recreational activities undisturbed.
- Educate yourself prior to your trip by obtaining travel maps and regulations from public agencies, planning for your trip, taking recreational skills classes, and knowing how to use and operate your equipment safely.
- Avoid sensitive areas such as meadows, lakeshores, wetlands and streams, unless on designated routes. This protects wildlife habitat and sensitive soils from damage.
- Do your part by leaving the area better than you found it, properly disposing of waste, minimizing the use of fire, avoiding the spread of invasive species, restoring degraded areas, and joining a local enthusiast organization.